Changing the rims on your Tesla might be something you’re considering to enhance your vehicle’s appearance or performance.
Yes, you can change your Tesla’s rims. Tesla offers various styles and sizes, or you can use third-party rims that meet Tesla’s specs. Non-compliant changes may impact performance and warranty. Consult a Tesla-approved mechanic or service center for guidance.
There is good news for Tesla owners who wish to change their rims: yes, it is possible!
Before diving into the world of wheel customization, let’s delve into the basics of Tesla rims and the factors you need to keep in mind when selecting the perfect set for your vehicle.
Tesla Models and Their Rims
The Tesla Model S offers standard 19-inch rims, which provide a sleek appearance and smooth ride. If you’re looking for something sportier, you may opt for the 21-inch performance rims.
Keep in mind that while upgrading, ensure your choice is compatible with Tesla’s lug nut pattern and size requirements. It’s always a great idea to check with a professional or Tesla support before making any modifications.
Model 3 is equipped with two rim sizes: the 18-inch Aero wheels and the available 19-inch Sport wheels. The Aero wheels have a unique design, offering better aerodynamics and range compared to the latter.
However, if aesthetics are a priority, the 19-inch Sport wheels have a more aggressive look. Just remember to verify compatibility and follow Tesla’s recommendations when modifying your Model 3’s rims.
For the Tesla Model X, you can choose between the standard 20-inch rims and the optional 22-inch rims. The 20-inch rims provide a balance between style and functionality, while the 22-inch rims are designed for those who prefer a bolder appearance.
Again, when considering any change, consult with a Tesla specialist or review the owner’s manual for rim and tire specifications.
Lastly, the Tesla Model Y offers both 19-inch Gemini wheels and 20-inch Induction wheels as options. Similar to the Model 3, the 19-inch Gemini wheels prioritize range and efficiency, while the 20-inch Induction wheels emphasize aesthetics.
Always take into account Tesla’s specifications when upgrading or altering your Model Y’s rims to ensure optimal performance and safety.
Reasons to Change Tesla Rims
Changing the rims on your Tesla can greatly influence the comfort of your driving experience. A smaller wheel size, for example, can provide a smoother ride, as more tire sidewall is available to absorb road imperfections.
On the other hand, larger rim sizes can lead to a firmer ride, as there is less tire sidewall flexibility. It’s essential to find the right balance between comfort and performance while selecting new rims for your Tesla.
A significant reason some Tesla owners choose to change their rims is to enhance their vehicle’s appearance. Rims come in various designs, materials, and finishes, allowing you to personalize and improve your Tesla’s aesthetics.
From sleek and minimal designs to flashy and attention-grabbing ones, you have an array of options to choose from. Upgraded rims can be the perfect finishing touch to make your Tesla stand out, tailored to your unique tastes.
Another major factor that might prompt you to change your Tesla rims is potential performance improvements. Changing the rim size can impact your vehicle’s handling and overall performance.
For instance, larger wheel diameters can provide better cornering abilities and improved steering response. However, smaller wheels can significantly enhance acceleration and braking power. It’s crucial to consider how your desired driving experience aligns with the rim size and type you choose for your Tesla.
Customizing Your Tesla Rims
As a Tesla owner, you might be looking for ways to personalize your car and make it stand out from the rest. One way to do this is by customizing your Tesla rims. There are a few options available to you, and we’ll go over them here in a friendly manner.
First of all, if your Tesla comes with Aero Covers, you can easily remove them to reveal the alloy wheels beneath. This simple change can give your Tesla a sportier look without any additional costs. Just remember that Aero Covers are designed to improve your car’s energy efficiency, so removing them may slightly affect your overall range.
If you’re looking for something more unique, there are aftermarket accessories and wheel options available to Tesla owners. Many companies offer custom rim designs that can give your Tesla a distinctive look.
When shopping for custom rims, keep in mind the size and fitment that will best suit your specific Tesla model to ensure a perfect fit and avoid any potential issues with your car’s performance and handling.
In addition to rim designs, you can also customize your Tesla rims by changing their color. Consider getting them powder coated or painted in a color that complements or contrasts with your car’s exterior. Some Tesla owners even opt for vinyl wraps or decals to add a personal touch to their rims.
When customizing your Tesla rims, always keep safety and performance in mind. Make sure that the components you choose are high-quality and compatible with your specific model to avoid compromising your car’s handling, suspension, and other essential functions.
Tesla-Compatible Rims Options and Accessories
Tesla offers a range of rim options for its vehicles directly through the dealership. They provide quality choices that are specifically designed for their cars. These rim options ensure compatibility with TPMS sensors and proper torque, which is crucial for the overall performance and safety of the vehicle.
Prices for Tesla rims will vary depending on the model and style but expect to pay a premium for genuine Tesla products.
Tsportline is a well-known company specializing in Tesla rims and accessories. Their rims are designed and created specifically for Tesla vehicles, ensuring excellent compatibility and ease of installation.
Tsportline offers a variety of styles and finishes to suit your taste and enhance your vehicle’s appearance. While somewhat expensive, Tsportline rims are known for their quality and are well worth considering.
- Excellent compatibility
- Variety of styles and finishes
- Expensive but high-quality
Caps and Covers
- Customized Tesla Accessories: the center hub caps specially design for Tesla Model 3 Model Y Model S and Model X. Simply takes 10 minutes GVCHFD to make your Tesla stands out, you can slid into all of the ABS wheel lug nut covers easily with the help of caps puller, The same with wheel hub center cover.
- Premium Material: Both made of strong and durable ABS plastic and PC material. Not only featuring in anti-rust, anti-dust, anti-scratch, but also high toughness and hardness, anti corrosion, more flexible to exchange the original wheel cap,firm installation and good sealing.
- Easy Installation: Non-destructive Installation! High precision, accurate buckle design, easy plug-in and remove. Use the screwdriver to prise off the original wheel cover, then press our hub cap with accurate location.
- Visual Enjoyment: Multi-layer UV high-gloss spray, bright color and strong texture. Used to decorate the car, immediately enhance the visual effect of the wheel. It is an essential accessories for you Tesla for you.
- Package Includes : 4pcs Center Wheel Caps Set with Logo +20pcs Black Lug Nut Covers + Installation Tools. Any question please feel free to contact with us.
Tesla vehicles can be further customized through the use of caps and covers on the rims. Aero covers, for instance, are designed to increase a vehicle’s efficiency by improving aerodynamics.
These covers can be purchased separately and are available in different styles. Alongside aero covers, Tesla and third-party sellers offer a range of caps and accessories, providing a unique touch to your rims without breaking the bank.
- Aero covers improve aerodynamics
- Variety of styles available
- Affordable customization options
Changing Tesla Rims: The Process
New Rims Installation
To change Tesla rims, it’s best to consult a certified mechanic who specializes in electric vehicles. They will replace the existing wheels with the new ones you’ve chosen.
When selecting aftermarket rims, make sure the new rims are compatible with your Tesla’s weight and tire specifications.
- Begin by securely raising your Tesla off the ground using a professional-grade lift.
- Once elevated, remove each of the original wheels and tires from the vehicle.
- Next, the tires will be removed from the original rims using a specialized tire machine.
- After that, the tires will be mounted onto the new rims and balanced using a wheel balancer.
- Finally, the new rims and tires will be installed back onto the vehicle, and the lug nuts tightened appropriately.
TPMS Sensors and Calibration
Your Tesla is equipped with Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) sensors to monitor the air pressure in your tires.
When changing rims, the TPMS sensors should be transferred to the new rims, or you should install new sensors. To calibrate your TPMS:
- Make sure the tire pressure is set to Tesla’s recommended levels.
- Turn on your Tesla and access the “Service” menu from the touchscreen.
- Select “TPMS” and click “Reset Sensors” to initiate the calibration process.
- Drive your Tesla for a few miles to complete the calibration.
Wheel Diameter and Clearance
It is essential to consider the wheel diameter and clearance when changing your Tesla’s rims. The proper wheel diameter is vital for maintaining the car’s performance and engine efficiency, while sufficient clearance ensures that the new rims and tires will not interfere with the vehicle’s suspension and other components.
Keep in mind the following guidelines:
- Ensure that your new rims are of the same diameter as your original ones, or consult a mechanic for guidance on suitable alternatives.
- Evaluate the effect of the new rims’ weight on your Tesla’s performance and range.
- Do a test drive to check for any rubbing or clearance issues with your new rims.
Remember to consult a certified mechanic when changing rims on your Tesla, and always prioritize safety and compatibility before making any modifications.